Buying and restoring a salvage motorcycle can be a highly rewarding experience. It not only allows you to own your favorite motorcycle at an affordable price, but it also gives you an opportunity to make it complement your persona. That said, if you are investing in an elaborate restoration project that will involve a complete engine rebuild, it is important that you are aware about the concept of “breaking-in period,” which we will cover in this article, starting with the basics. Read on.
What is the “breaking-in period?”
When the components of an engine are new, the friction between them is at its highest, as they have not been “bedded in.” Depending on a number of parameters, the breaking-in period of an engine typically ranges between 500 to 1000 miles, during which the rider must follow some protocols that go a long way in getting the best out of their machine.
Why is the significance of the “breaking-in period”?
If the verdicts of auto manufacturers and experts are anything to go by, it would be safe to say that properly breaking-in an engine helps ensure lower emissions, higher fuel economy, optimum performance, and a longer lifespan. Improper handling of a new or rebuilt engine, on the hand, can result in immediate internal damage and subsequent expenses.
How to properly break-in an engine?
Although the best practices for breaking-in vary based on engine specifications, here are some generic tips to help you properly break-in an engine, to be followed for the first 1,000 miles:
- Avoid using more than three-fourth of the throttle.
- Avoid sudden halts, aggressive starts, or rapid acceleration.
- Increase the engine speed to the prescribed rev limit for short periods of time.
- Never let the engine lug or drag; when decelerating, be sure to downshift as needed.
- Shift to the right gear when accelerating; don’t over-rev the engine on small gears.
The Final Word
While the desire to challenge a newly built motor to its limits is completely understandable, it is important that you don’t let the temptation get the best of you. Keep in mind that improperly broken-in engines are likely to offer mediocre mileage and may not be ever able to deliver their peak performance. If you are still looking for that diamond in the rough for your restoration project, look no further than AutoBidMaster. Register with us to participate in our salvage motorcycle auctions, and take your pick from a large inventory of clean and salvage motorcycles for sale. Whether you are looking for used motorcycles for sale, sport bikes for sale, or street bikes for sale, the search ends here. If you have questions, simply call +1 (503) 298-4300, Mon through Fri, 04:00 AM to 04:00 PM (Pacific Time), or email at email@example.com.
- 5 Frequently Replaced Car Parts You Can Salvage from Junk Cars - October 16, 2023
- Top Muscle Cars for Your Next Restoration Project - October 9, 2023
- Top Benefits of Participating in Online Vehicle Auctions - October 2, 2023